Capture the flag is a competitive game played with two teams of equal size (at least five or six people). The goal is for one team to capture the opposing teamÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s flag and bring it back to their own home base without being tagged. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a variation of sorts on Kick the Can and Tag.
The flag can be anything that both teams agree on. A toy, an old towel, or a tee shirt are all good possibilities. YouÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll also need something to mark out three sections on the playing field Ã¢â‚¬â€œ
- Team oneÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s home area
- Neutral ground
- Team twoÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s home area
You should try to have a playing field that has a lot of trees, brush, and other hiding places so that the teams can move stealthily into enemy territory to capture the flag.
- Each team hides its flag in its home area. Five minutes is usually the amount of time given before play begins.
- The teams try to invade enemy territory, find the flag, and bring it home without being tagged. The first team to accomplish this wins the game.
- Tagging can only been done in enemy territory. Once a player is tagged, he has to sit out the rest of the game. In some versions, an area off the playing field is designated as prison and the tagged player must wait there until a team member tags him.
This is a game of strategy, speed, and skill. Oh, and fun. This is a game of fun.
photo credit: DD Fic