Granola bars make delicious snacks and they are relatively healthy. The thing is that you can make them for so much less money than you would spend at the store Ã¢â‚¬â€œ and theyÃ‚Â aren’tÃ‚Â hard to do at all.
Do you need more convincing? Those commercial bars contain a variety of additives that you probably donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t want your family to eat. When you make them at home you are in complete control of the flavor and ingredients you put in them.
You can use a little less sugar if you like but if you donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t use enough your bars will be crumbly. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t cut it by more than 1/4 cup or so. Plain granola works the best in this recipe. You can find it in the bulk section of most natural foods stores.
- 1/2 cup unsaltedÃ‚Â butter
- 2/3 cupÃ‚Â packedÃ‚Â light brown sugar
- 1/2 cupÃ‚Â honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups granola
- 2 cupÃ‚Â crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cupÃ‚Â mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cupÃ‚Â peanut butter chips, mini marshmallows, or chopped nuts
- Spray a 9×13 pan with baking spray, line with parchment or waxed paper, and spray again.
- Set aside.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla in a large pan over medium heat.
- Stir until the butter melts.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Quickly add the granola and cereal into the pan and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Spread in the pan and press the top down firmly.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, nuts, and other additional ingredients on the top and press down gently.
- Cool completely and then cut into bars.
photo credit: Ã‚Â Alejandra Owens