It’s the most often visited room in the house: the bathroom. And yet, the bathroom can often be the red-headed step child of the house…no offense to red-heads or step children everywhere.
Next time you walk into the bath, look around. What do you see? I see a mess of toothbrushes, make-up brushes and hair brushes strewn about on my counter. And the lighting is just terrible! Why is it that the bathroom counter is a magnet to all the little grooming bits?
So, here are some tips from Altogether Home for a quick update on the bath:
1. You guessed it – mirrors. Hang a mirror above the counter AND the toilet. Give your man something to stare at while he does his business. Plus, it’ll make the room looker larger and more grand.
2. Speaking of mirrors, be sure to have it properly dressed and contained within a frame. Frames, especially wooden ones, make mirrors spiffier, stand up straighter and in general look more presentable. Especially in a small powder room!
3. Fluffy white towels. They look good in any bath. I don’t know why exactly except it must be the international sign for luxury. As in hotel. As in vacation. As in aaaahhhhhh. Of course, the towels should be stain free. Just saying.
4. Keep it simple when it comes to color. Use color in things that can easily be changed like the walls and accessories. I was walking by a dumpster yesterday and saw a robin’s egg blue toilet lying inside. It was actually a lovely blue, not that god awful avocado green. But still. It was in the dumpster.
5. Pendant lights. It’s like lovely earrings for your mirrors.
6. Contain yourself. Put a few boxes around to house all those untidy bits that inevitably get strewn about.
Et voila! Your bath has a new attitude.
photo credit: Venetian mirror by Kevin Allen via My Notting Hill, ornate mirror by Coco + Kelly, fluffy white towels by One Source Linens, colorful bath by Designerpad, pendant lights by West Elm, bath accessories by West Elm