Margo’s Butter Bars
For a few years after my husband and I were first married, we lived in Tennessee. It was the place where we bought our first home and welcomed our first child into the world. It was where my husband and I became a family.
I’ve always associated the warm fuzzy feelings that I have for that period of time with our life directly with Tennessee.
One of those things that give me those warm fuzzy feelings is a recipe for butter bars that a close friend of ours gave me. My husband raved about her butter bars and I had to have the recipe. I’ve had it now for almost 10 years and I must say, they never fail to bring a smile to my husband’s face, and that is always a good thing.
Ingredients for bars:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for topping:
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- Mix the first three ingredients and pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Next, mix the last 3 ingredients and pour on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Top will get lightly brown, cake edge will rise up around edge.
- Check to make sure that the center is done and not still runny.
- Take out of the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Lightly dust top with powdered sugar.
- Share with your family and wait for the smiles to appear. They will.
What’s your favorite comfort food?
Photo Source: Robert S. Donovan