When you share custody of your children the holidays can become more miserable than merry. In most cases, the kids alternate where they spend their holidays, which means that at some point you may be spending Christmas without them.
Here are some ways to enjoy your holiday when itâ€™s his turn to have the kids.
- Take a cruise. Really. You donâ€™t have to do one thing that you donâ€™t want to, there are lots of people, youâ€™ll get to see new places, and people who take cruises are a pretty friendly bunch.
- Get together with friends. Most of us have some friends that are really more family than some of our relatives. Plan something with them and enjoy your adult time!
- Volunteer. Whether you volunteer at work so someone else can be with their family or you volunteer to serve at a homeless shelter, doing something nice for someone else is good for your mood and your karma.
- Make a list of all of the things you have wanted to do but couldnâ€™t because you had responsibilities. Do them. Stay out until four in the morning, watch television naked, or take an eight hour bath and celebrate your temporary child free state.
- Revel in your misery. Sometimes you just need to work it through. Put on those movies that make you cry (and you know what they are), get a half gallon of ice cream and a spoon, and snuggle up with a box of tissues. Cry it out until you are dehydrated, get a water bottle and cry some more â€“ sometimes we just need to go with it.
Single moms – how do you handle the holidays?