Almost everyone, young or old, enjoys playing with various types of modeling clay. It allows the smallest child to create something uniquely their own.
Cloud dough is inexpensive dough that you can make at home with ingredients that you probably already have in the house. The texture is light and fluffy â€“ almost silky. It doesnâ€™t stick to your hands, and is easy to mold into a variety of shapes. You can even color it with crushed chalk!
If you are looking for a way to entertain your children this summer, this might be the perfect project for kids of all ages.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baby oil
- Sticks of colored chalk to make colors, if desired
- Air tight containers to store the dough
- Crush a piece of chalk to a powder and add it to the flour if you are planning on coloring the dough.
- Add the flour to a large bowl and slowly pour in the oil.
- Mix the flour and the oil together with your hands until the dough is a good moldable consistency.
- Add more oil if necessary to make it easier to mold.
- Store in an airtight container.
Cloud dough can be molded into free form shapes or pressed into molds. It will dry out if exposed to air for a long period of time, so keep it in an airtight container between uses. It isnâ€™t sticky at all and brushes off your hands (and table) easily.
If your children are very young, you can make this totally edible by using a light vegetable oil in place of the baby oil.
photo credit: jimmiehomeschoolmom