Long term food storage is gaining momentum around the country for a variety of reasons – with the economy hitting rock bottom in recent years, to those who believe the end is near, or those who prep for the sake of sanity – you’ve got reasons for food preparation that run the gamut.
Common Reasons to Store Food:
- Loss of income
- Unforeseen natural disasters
- Sick family resulting in job loss or inability to make regular trips to the store
- Allow for ease in creating last minute meals on busy days
- Religious beliefs
Whatever your reasons, it’s not a bad idea to have some sort of long term food storage, but without a game plan as well as resources for making it all work, the idea can seem daunting and quite frankly, overwhelming.
We’re here to help.
There are a variety of websites that can help you accomplish your goals for food storage whether you are looking to prep for three months, a year or longer. They offer everything from basic advice to get you started all the way to checklists, spreadsheets and video tutorials.
They all recommend the following:
- OrganizationÂ - Figure out what you need and create a comprehensive list of the necessities, including toiletries.
- Plan Ahead -Â Plan ahead how you will store your items so you know where you can keep your supplies and how you will keep them.
- Â Proper Storage -Â Understand proper storage methods to maximize the longevity of your supplies.
- Begin Shopping Now -Â Chip away at your list little by little, building up your supply.
- Shop Smart -Â Use coupons and sales to help you accomplish your goals in an economical way.
Here at Modern Home, Modern Baby we will be featuring a series of posts on food storage that will provide tips and resources covering all you need to know in small bite sized articles so you can digest this process a bit easier – so be certain to come back for those tips in the coming days.
What are you most uncertain about regarding long term food storage?
Main Image: Suzba
2nd Image: author generated