5 Ways to Trim the Fat from Your Beauty Budget
Looking great doesn’t come cheap, but there are ways to reduce the blow to your wallet.
- Give Up Brand Loyalty. Have you been using the same brand of lipstick since high school? Do you always buy the same brand of deodorant out of habit? Break out of your comfort zone and try a new brand that’s on sale or part of a special promotion. If you’re a couponer, keep in mind that many beauty product coupons can be used on trial sizes. This means you can get new beauty supplies for next to nothing.
- Go for Makeup Dupes. If you’ve developed a taste for high end makeup, look for beauty bloggers who’ve identified dupes of your favorite products. For example, if you love Nars Orgasm Blush, many bloggers have declared Milani Luminoso to be a nearly perfect match at a fraction of the price.
- Try Out a Subscription Service. Not all subscription services are a bargain, but many offer surprisingly good deals on beauty essentials. I love 800razors.com, a service that offers high quality razors for both men and women.
- Take Advantage of Store Rewards. Sephora’s Beauty Insider program gives you rewards points on each dollar you spend. You can exchange points for samples or special limited edition gift sets. Pharmacy chains like CVS also have rewards cards that you can use to earn discounts and exclusive coupons.
- Do It Yourself. Surprisingly, there are a number of beauty products that are fairly easy to make at home. You can create your own tinted moisturizer by mixing together foundation and your favorite moisturizer. You can make tinted lip balm by scooping out the end bits from a tube of lip stick and mixing them with a bit of ChapStick. If you want to recreate the spa experience at home, The Dating Divas website has collection of 25 different scrubs, masks, toners, and face creams you can try.
Photo credit: Drugstore.com